Re: Silly question: Where's eth0?

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 07:00:39PM -0700, francisco wrote:
> El mi??, 24-10-2007 a las 10:11 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty escribi??:
> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 10:02:31AM +0200, Matthias Feichtinger wrote:
> > > I had the same problem.
> > > The mistake was made while installing.
> > > It is not possible to change things, e.g. having to configure more
> > > than one ethernetcard.
> > > I made a script of my own need and everythings works as I wanted it
> > > to work. So, first man ifconfig, then man route and if needed, you might
> > > start your script with init.d.
> > > At next installing don't mention any NIC at all. The debian way to do
> > > is a kind of mystery. When there's enough time I will rebuild it.
> >
> > Are you seriously telling people that you can't add a NIC to Debian
> > without re-installing?  Get a life.
> >
> > Now, if you're using some pointy-clicky lindows thingy, perhaps.  Get
> > rid of it.
> >
> > udev should find all your hardware.  If you find it doesn't, do the
> > old-fashioned method.  Find the right module (read the kernel-docs, read
> > the chips on your NIC, match them up), and insmod it.  If you need
> > parameters its easier (if you want a bit of a GUI) to install modconf
> > which will ask for the parameters and put them in the right place.
> >
> > Your module name would go under /etc/modules and be loaded at each boot.
> >
> > Once you have an eth* you can then go ahead and put it in
> > /etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> > Done.
> >
> > The Debian way isn't a mistery.  Read the debian-manual, man pages, and
> > if necessary, ask here.
> >

> Could you, forget the theoretical explanation and show it by a simple
> example? i have the same problem, and it can not be solve by ifconfig,
> iwconfig, route and others. Broadcom card 4311, Compaq Presario v3019US.

1.
	Looking in
	/usr/share/doc/linux-doc-2.6.18/Documentation/networking/ \
	bcm43xx.txt.gz it says its for Broadcom BCM43xx chips.

	It mentions needing a firmware file.  I'm assuming this is some
	wireless stuff that I know diddly about.

	To me, either a driver works or it doesn't.

2.
	aptitude search ~dbroadcom
	shows up bcm43xx-fwcutter

3.	Both places refer the reader to http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

4.	It says that the page won't be updated anymore, to go to
	http://linuxwireless.org

	Which doesn't seem to help any.

Since I don't have a wireless card, there's no reason for me to install
bcm43xx-fwcutter.

It seems that the linux driver for your card requires that you steal the
firmware from another driver and stick it into the linux driver.  Good
luck with that.

Now, if you actually had a piece of hardware that _was_ fully supported
by the linux kernel without this mess, then you would get a functioning
eth0 which would then work just fine with the standard Debian networking
tools.

In short, your problem isn't with the networking tools, its with a
non-functional driver.

Doug.