Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

* Scott Lair <plair@mailzone.com> [071024 19:07]:
> H.S. wrote:

> > > It likely is the case that "Br-script" differs from genuine Postscript
> > > sufficiently to avoid a copyright infringement suit and thus, to avoid
> > > the necessity on the part of Brother to pay Adobe for a Postscript
> > > license.
> > >

> > Here is something interesting:
> > http://solutions.brother.com/Library/sol/printer/color/26_34_pc_color_pcl_vs_ps.html
> >
> > Brother calls their BR-script driver as postscript driver.
> >
> > ->HS
>
> OK, now I'm wondering what the differences are between genuine Postscript and
> BR-script.....and if those differences may cause trouble later on.

Forgive me for being a little stubborn here; I am trying to make the
point that genuine, no-compromise Postscript machines are quite proud
of the fact, and that, in all likelihood, "Br-script" is merely an
imperfect imitation of Postscript.

However, unless you are paying on the order of a hundred dollars extra
for "Br-script", what is the worst that can happen?  As long as the
Brother also emulates PCL6 or Epson, then if you happen to discover
some terrible hidden flaw in "Br-script", you can always use foomatic,
ghostscript, and so forth.

In the end, what matters most of all is that the paper-feed mechanism
is reliable, and that toner cartridges remain readily available.

The worst paper-feed system I ever encountered was on the cheap
Hewlett-Packard laser printers in which the paper trays are vertical
slots in the top of the printer.

You might inquire at your local OfficeDepot or OfficeMax regarding the
availability of toner cartridges.  If the clerk bursts out laughing,
you might reconsider your selection.

RLH