Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

On Oct 24, 2007, at 4:48 PM, Scott Lair wrote:
OK, now I'm wondering what the differences are between genuine Postscript and
BR-script.....and if those differences may cause trouble later on.

In the past, when I've run into trouble with off-brand implementations of Postscript, it's always been when printing from Adobe software. Perhaps unsurprisingly, they tend to use features of Postscript that other people don't. Adobe products also have problems printing to PCL6 printers -- it's common, at least under Windows, to have Adobe Acrobat Reader print pages that are mirror images of what they're supposed to be on PCL6 printers. It's frustrating and comical at the same time. Using PCL5e always seemed to fix it.

Note that having a "real" implementation of Postscript isn't always a guarantee, either -- I've had print jobs from Adobe Acrobat Reader error out with Postscript errors even on printers that supposedly had Adobe-licensed copies.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have trouble, you can always switch to foomatic and have it re-interpret the print job to a lower Postscript level, or send it as PCL. Your computer will have to do a little more work, but your printouts will come out fine. And you'll still have all the advantages of a networked printer. I won't even buy printers without ethernet ports anymore -- it's just so much more convenient when I can plug them into the network.