Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 07:32:22PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
>
> > Now, Eric mentioned memory in his post. I can understand that since
> > sometimes the 2070N at my home takes quite a while to print a page with
> > graphics in it (it has 16MB RAM). HL-5250DN comes with 32MB. How does
> > that sound? It also has an empty slot to accommodate 64MB, 128MB, 256MB
> > or 512MB (144-pin DIMM).
> >

> The way I look at it is this:  Ghostscript sends the printer a graphic,
> bitmapped with PCL 6.
>
> So, a whole page at 600x600 dpi x 8.5" x 11" = 33660000 bits
>
> 	33660000 b / 8 b/B = 4207500 B / 1024 = 4108 KB / 1024 = 4 MB
>
> So thats 4 MB per page for the image data itself, 8 MB to hold two
> sides, plus whatever for control info (PCL wrapping).  If it has 16 MB,
> it can be printing two sides while it receives the data for the next two
> pages.
>
> If you were to be using the built-in font system whereby you sent it
> plain text and it translated it into your selection of fonts that you
> donwload to it, that would take up a whole slew of memory.  Ditto if you
> used built-in forms.  Neither of which applies if you're just using
> ghostscript.
>
> Doug.

I think the HL-5250DN does have postscript built in.  Brother calls it
BR-Script which appears to be their postscript emulation. I have an 8840DN
multifunction unit and have printed to it using the foomatic/postscript
driver in cups for a lexmark printer.  I print the port 9100 on the printer.

Maybe Br-script isn't "real" postscript, I really don't know.