Squid setup question

I'm new to squid (installed it today) and I'm following
the instructions at the squid wiki. I'm finding them to
be confusing and I wonder if anyone can recommend instructions
that are specific to Debian and are specific to version
2.6. My immediate problem is that the wiki says to do
testing of ones setup with a program that thay call
'squidclient' and sometimes just 'client'. But the squid
package in Etch didn't install such a program. What is the
Debian name for the program for doing testing? Help!

Also, it seems that one must do a cgi stript to make ones
browser actually use squid. Is this true? I have a feeling
that the instructions I've found don't really apply to
the program I have - different version or something.

I'm hoping I can get squid working so that I can speed
up access to a web site that I want to use often but
is very slow to load. I can tell the information is not
really changing - just something goofy in its setup.

I only want to access the cache from the one computer
on which it is running - purely localhost - really simple,
but I stuck.

TIA
--
Paul E Condon