Re: getting scim to work on KDE

Wei Chen wrote:
> On 10/24/07, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using the KDE keyboard layout applet to type different
>> languages. I recently learned that uim or scim could be a better method.
>>
>> To test these out, I installed scim. Then, following some web pages
>> fround via goodle, I put these in ~/.bashrc
>> #stuff for scim to work
>> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>> XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
>> XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>>
>> Then I put this in ~/.scim/global
>> /DefaultKeyboardLayout = US_Default
>> /DisabledIMEngineFactories =
>> /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_CA.utf8,pa_IN.utf8,hi_IN.utf8,en_US.UTF-8
>>
>> because my locale is en_CA.UTF-8.
>>
>> And also started scim after loggin in:
>> $> scim -d
>> $> cat ~/.scim/global
>>

>> Now I have the little keyboard applet on the KDE panel. I can also right
>> click on it and set the preferences using SCIM Setup option. It also
>> lists all the various input languages.
>>
>> However, no matter what I do (CTRL+Space or other combinations), I am
>> not able to change the input method to a different language.
>>
>> If somebody is familiar with scim, can you explain what I could have missed?
>>
>> thanks,
>> ->HS
>> PS: This is on Debian testing.
>
> Hi,
>
> I personally use scim in KDE. scim is a good input method platform in
> my point of view. I use its ``pinyin'' input method to input Chinese.
> It can also be used for many other languages and input methods as far
> as I know.
>
> In order to get things set up for a brand new installation. I do not
> need to modify various configuration files, except for the user locale
> set up. What I have to do are as follows.
>
> 1. Install the packages for scim and its ``pinyin'' input method using
> aptitude. Also install the package ``im-switch'' from the repository.
>
> 2. Set locale environment variable for my current user:
> LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB2312 in .bash_profile. (Personally I leave other
> variables en_HK.UTF-8, which is set to be the system-wide default
> value on my desktop)
>
> 3. Run `im-switch -c` to configure the input method for the current
> user. Choose scim from the interactive user interface.

This was one step I had missed. The second one was to put:
#GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
#QT_IM_MODULE=xim
QT_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"

in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim. For which I had to install scim-bridge
package.

Then logging out and loggin back in gave me the SCIM toolbar in KDE
which is toggled using CTRL+Space.

Thanks a ton!
->HS