getting scim to work on KDE

Hello,

I have been using the KDE keyboard layout applet to type different
languages. I recently learned that uim or scim could be a better method.

To test these out, I installed scim. Then, following some web pages
fround via goodle, I put these in ~/.bashrc
#stuff for scim to work
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

Then I put this in ~/.scim/global
/DefaultKeyboardLayout = US_Default
/DisabledIMEngineFactories =
/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_CA.utf8,pa_IN.utf8,hi_IN.utf8,en_US.UTF-8

because my locale is en_CA.UTF-8.

And also started scim after loggin in:
$> scim -d
$> cat ~/.scim/global

Now I have the little keyboard applet on the KDE panel. I can also right
click on it and set the preferences using SCIM Setup option. It also
lists all the various input languages.

However, no matter what I do (CTRL+Space or other combinations), I am
not able to change the input method to a different language.

If somebody is familiar with scim, can you explain what I could have missed?

thanks,
->HS
PS: This is on Debian testing.