Re: cobol compiler/gui dev enviroment

Hello,

On 24-10-2007, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 10/23/07 22:11, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

>>> Correct.  COBOL* is so complicated a language, and so anti-geeky,
>>> that no one has really had an itch to create a full COBOL
>>> environment.  You'll have to pony up the coin for a commercial compiler.
>>>
>>> * And it's soulmate PL/I.
>>
>> I'll bite:  why do you need COBOL?  You've go C, Fortran, and Ada in
>
> Because apps written in COBOL are highly portable across platforms.

This is false.

As any other programming language COBOL is as portable as the programmer
make it (same thing apply for Java/C/Python/OCaml/Perl...)

FYI, there is a big difference between GCOS 8/GCOS 7/IBM MVS cobol
compiler (and you will find another set of differences with Micro Focus,
Fujitsu...)

If this argument is the main to choose COBOL rather than C, i really
think you should reconsider your position.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

ps: i am working for a company that converts program sources between
different dialects of COBOL (and especially from MVS/GCOS to UNIX). My work is
to deal with the non-portability of COBOL...