texlive no longer honours $TEXMFHOME?

Hi there,

Since Debian started using texlive, I cannot get mktexlsr to index
my personal texmf tree in ~/.etc/texmf. I have set $TEXMFHOME to
this path (and also tried it with $HOME/texmf, which is the
default), but when I run mktexlsr, it just skips the directory.

The source of the problem seems to be kpsewhich:

  kpsewhich --show-path=ls-R

this does not include $HOME at all.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get kpsewhich --show-path=ls-R to
honour $TEXMFHOME again?

"wer schmetterlinge lachen hört,
 der weiss wie wolken schmecken."
                                  -- freiherr friedrich von hardenberg