Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> [071023 17:07]:
>> If I under the specs of the above two printer properly, both are
>> postscript printers:
>> 2070N:  PCL6, IBM Proprinter, Epson FX
>> 5250DN: PCL6, BR-Script3, IBM Proprinter, Epson FX
>>
>> and these are the ports that they have:
>> 2070N:  10/100 Base-TX Ethernet, Parallel, USB
>> 5250DN: 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet, Parallel, Hi-Speed USB 2.0
>>
>> I was actually looking just for the 10/100 ethernet ports to connect the
>> printer to a switch on the little office network that we have there. How
>> does this relate to HP JetDirect ethernet interface? And, er, what is HP
>> JetDirect and wouldn't it exist only in HP printers?
>>
>> thanks,
>> ->HS
>
> Forgive me; I misread your letter.
>
> The specifications you cite above do NOT indicate Postscript
> capability; look for the term "Postscript".  Postscript is a universal
> printer control language which is a much-preferred alternative to
> proprietary languages such as PCL6, etc.

I was just now reading about PCL6 and Postscript and their relation to
printers. So, as I have just discovered, printers supporting Postscript
language are way more expensive than the ones I mentioned originally.
The HL-5250DN is available here in Canada for $203.99 + tax. And the
HL-2070N is for $171 + tax. If I look for a different printer which has
a 10/100 base-TX connection and supports postscript, then the price
jumps significantly!

> In general, text output in Linux is Postscript by default; numerous
> other printer control languages are accommodated, but sometimes the
> process of accomodation becomes rather involved, and doesn't always
> work quite right.
>
> HP JetDirect is the generic name which HP uses for its ethernet
> interface, which typically is a plug-in module which can vary from one
> printer model to the next.
>
> My point (which I did not make very well) was that a printer with
> Postscript capability and a built-in ethernet interface typically is
> well worth the price, because of the time savings which accumulate
> over the years.  Configuring Linux for a non-Postscript printer and
> making a parallel- or usb-interface printer available to other
> machines on the LAN can be very expensive, if your time is worth
> anything.

I now understand your point very well. Had there been more money
available, I would definitely have recommended as PS printer supporting
networking. The Brother printers above support the network. I have the
HL-2070N at my home connected to a switch and used by a Debian machine,
a Ubuntu machine and a Windows machine without any problems. Installing
the printer in Debian was a breeze. Windows is never a problem :) I know
that is not Postscript, but so far it has worked very well. So I am
expecting PCL6 shouldn't be a problem with 5250DN either.

Your comments, however, have clarified a few doubts I had. Thanks.

regards,
->HS