Re: Sleep v Cron

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:06:17PM -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On 10/22/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >
> > if you set a cron job to run every 10 seconds then it will run at
> > 12:00.00, 12:00.10, 12:00.20 etc regardless of how long the execution
>
> Of course, just like the phone company, cron has minute resolution.

yep. sorry and thanks.

still, the comparison holds in terms of how they behave.

I had a nice lesson in this the other day. I had set a cron
job to run everyday at what I thought was 5:00 am, but instead was set
for every minute between 5 and 6. the job itself takes several
minutes and deletes a bunch of files in the process. So my mailbox was
filled with one mail showing the success of the job and 59 failures
because the source files had already been deleted. That was fun :).