Re: Help with Debian Install

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 23:20:07 +0200, Sam Leon wrote:

> Ed wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I downloaded an image called debian-40r1-i386-netinst.iso.  The install
>> went fine until I got to the step to 'Configure the Package Manager'.
>> When I do this step, it asks if I want to use a network mirror and I
>> choose 'yes'.  It then asks for a protocol and I choose 'http' although
>> I also tried 'ftp' and it fails also.  Next it asks for a country and I
>> choose 'United States'. Next it asks for a archive mirror.  I have
>> tried nearly all, but currently I am trying 'linux.csua.berkeley.edu'.
>> It asks if I need a proxy and I leave that blank and hit 'continue'.
>> Then it says scanning the mirror, but I see no activity on my modem.
>> After a few seconds it reports that "Bad archive Mirror - The specified
>> Debian archive mirror
>> is either not available, or does not have a valid release file on it.
>> Please try a dirrerent
>> mirror".  This happens no matter which mirror I choose.  I am new to
>> Debian
>> and unfamiliar with its tools.  Any help or advice would be
>> appreciated. Thanks
>> Ed Doyle
>>

> What kind of network card is in the computer?  It sounds like the driver
> for it is not getting loaded or something.
>
> Sam

I am not really sure.  This is an old computer, but years ago, it had
Redhat Linux 7 and Windows 95 dual boot running fine.  As time went by,
this computer was replaces with newer ones and slowly became obsolete.
Now I want to revive it and probably make it a print server, and maybe
web browser only machine, only running linux.  I have never used debian
before, but heard it was a good candidate for an old machine.  On my
other machines I run fedora 6 or 7. (and yes, I run Windows 2000 or XP)

Is there a way I can find out the network card and driver without taking
the machine apart.  It is in kind of a hard place to get at right now.

Thanks

Ed