Re: OT: camera for small work

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 06:48 pm, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm one of the few people on the planet without a digital camera.
>
> I have a tiny job to do on my wife's horn glasses if I can't get the
> shop to do it.  The hinges need changing and I'm told that its
> impossible for the manufacturer to halt the production line for a month
> to do it and nobody else is set up for what ammounts to microsurgery.
>
> I've done small work before but this is so tiny that actually seeing
> what I'm doing will be one of the big challenges.  The existing hinges
> are 3mm x 3mm x 15mm or so and are resessed into the temple about 1.5
> mm.  The old ones have to be mechanically removed, the divit filled with
> a replacement piece of horn, then new hinges fitted.
>
> I'm wondering if normal consumer-grade digital cameras that have a macro
> function (such as some of the Panasonic ones) can hook up to my linux
> box to allow continuous viewing (like a close-up video camera).  I would
> mount it on a tripod.
>
> What software would be recommended?  Would VLC do that?
>
> I'm a cardiac nurse and I'm not so worried about the hand-eye nature of
> the job, I just don't know if standard consumer hardware will do it.

OK.  First things first.  You don't need an excuse to buy a digital camera.
Figure out what you want in a camera and buy it.

Next.  What you want to do is very specialized, and from what you describe, a
one time event. A reasonably priced retail camera won't do the job for you.
Some other folks suggested a jeweler's loupe.  That may be your most cost
effective solution to this problem, coupled with "3rd hands" to hold the
glasses while you work on them.

IMO, the job you describe is best done with a low/no tech solution.

Mark