Re: OT: camera for small work

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm one of the few people on the planet without a digital camera.
>
> I have a tiny job to do on my wife's horn glasses if I can't get the
> shop to do it.  The hinges need changing and I'm told that its
> impossible for the manufacturer to halt the production line for a month
> to do it and nobody else is set up for what ammounts to microsurgery.
>
> I've done small work before but this is so tiny that actually seeing
> what I'm doing will be one of the big challenges.  The existing hinges
> are 3mm x 3mm x 15mm or so and are resessed into the temple about 1.5
> mm.  The old ones have to be mechanically removed, the divit filled with
> a replacement piece of horn, then new hinges fitted.
>
> I'm wondering if normal consumer-grade digital cameras that have a macro
> function (such as some of the Panasonic ones) can hook up to my linux
> box to allow continuous viewing (like a close-up video camera).  I would
> mount it on a tripod.
>
> What software would be recommended?  Would VLC do that?
>
> I'm a cardiac nurse and I'm not so worried about the hand-eye nature of
> the job, I just don't know if standard consumer hardware will do it.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug.

- From my small experience with close range closed cir cute cameras
(Production line Safety).
we used several creative PC-CAM (750) with lennse addition (to get
more light from each cam)

if you do use USB web cams be aware that you can't use more then one
web cam on usb 1 and usb 1.1. (i don't know about usb 2).

we used motion with apache to access the webcams.
also there is use of special program that process the images.

Regards

- --
- --
Could you at least use man ?
    Jabka Atu (aka mha13/Mashrom Head) || bsh83.blogspot.com
- --