Re: OT: camera for small work

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:59:03AM +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> >Ideas?
>
> Magnifying glass on a stand?

To do this optically, it would be more likely a jeweler's loupe, or a
10x wide-field binocular microscope.  I'm sure that there are optical
options that would work great, but they'd be single-purpose expenses.
If a good digital camera will also work great, then at the end of the
project I have a digital camera to use for other things.

> The depth of field with a camera is likely to be so shallow it'd be
> useless for 3D work.

The depth of field is acceptable with my Nikon SLR but its not digital.
Once I know if the computer-side is feasable, I'll go to the camera
store with a mock-up of the work piece and tool and see if any
camera/lens combo I can afford will be suitable.

The depth of the work field is about 5 mm at any one time.

So at this point, the question is can a consumer digital camera function
like a web-cam and then do I just view it with something like VLC?

Doug.