Re: sshfs installation error

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 19:23:58 +0100, michael wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 19:33 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[ snip: discussion about mysteriously missing /lib/init/vars.sh file ]

> > I would be worried if I found that this file had disappeared from my
> > system and I did not know why.
>
> I note Andrew's reasonable assumptions about a poorly updated system
> possibly having a weird set of dependencies etc. I'm surprised that the
> file's not there but it's impossible (I guess) to work out when/how it
> disappeared. If it was my work server I might be worried but this is a
> home machine with dynamic IP that's not 24/7 on the net. Furthermore,
> I've another box sitting next to me which I'm about to move to so this
> disk will sit in there just for data so I'm fairly happy about not being
> compromised. Or am I fooling myself??

That is really difficult to say. For one thing it depends on how many
listening services you had running while this machine was connected to
the outside world and which safety measures (firewall, tcp wrappers,
selinux, grsecurity, ...) you had in place.

Another possible cause for disappearing files is file system corruption,
which could indicate a hard drive about to die. I would check
/lost+found and use fsck, badblocks, and smartmontools to test the
drive.

          Florian   |