Re: sshfs installation error

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 09:39:31 +0100, michael wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 20:16 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > Looks like something is wrong with the "initscripts" package on your
> > system. Maybe it is outdated. What do you get from
> >
> > apt-cache policy initscripts
>
> Somehow I opened another thread ("installation problems (fuse)" 15 Oct
> 2007) and 'initscripts' was mentioned there too but a reinstall didn't
> help. In the end, copying /lib/init/vars.sh from another machine allowed
> the post/pre-installation scripts for fuse-utils to do its job. I've no
> idea what said file is nor why it was missing from my machine.

The main task of this file seems to be setting the environmental
variables defined in /etc/default/rcS. (You can have a look yourself, it
is just a short shell script of 14 lines.)

According to /var/lib/dpkg/info/initscripts.conffiles, vars.sh is not
considered to be a configuration file, so I think it should have been
restored by a reinstall of a reasonably new version of the initscripts
package (vars.sh seems to exist at least since September 2006).

I would be worried if I found that this file had disappeared from my
system and I did not know why.

          Florian   |