Re: sshfs installation error

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 20:16 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 18:26:00 +0100, michael wrote:
> > I'm using unstable and got the following error when trying to install
> > sshfs - anybody else since this or know the underlying problem? Ta, M
> >
> > michael@manchester-campaigns:~/work/myPresentations$ sudo apt-get
> > install sshfs
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > The following extra packages will be installed:
> >   fuse-utils libfuse2
> > The following NEW packages will be installed
> >   fuse-utils libfuse2 sshfs
> > 0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 155 not upgraded.
>                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I am not sure if it is a good idea to let outdated packages pile up like
> that. If you create your own unique mix of new and old packages then you
> might create your own unique problems. At the very least I would make
> sure that all the "required" and "important" packages are up to date
> before installing new software. (NB: This is a general remark, your
> current problem might have other causes, see below.)

Noted but was sure had relevant packages...

> > Setting up libfuse2 (2.7.0-2) ...
> > Setting up fuse-utils (2.7.0-2) ...
> > creating fuse device node...
> > creating fuse group...
> > Adding group `fuse' (GID 117) ...
> > Done.
> > /etc/init.d/fuse: line 24: /lib/init/vars.sh: No such file or directory
> > invoke-rc.d: initscript fuse, action "start" failed.
> > dpkg: error processing fuse-utils (--configure):
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> Looks like something is wrong with the "initscripts" package on your
> system. Maybe it is outdated. What do you get from
>
> apt-cache policy initscripts

Somehow I opened another thread ("installation problems (fuse)" 15 Oct
2007) and 'initscripts' was mentioned there too but a reinstall didn't
help. In the end, copying /lib/init/vars.sh from another machine allowed
the post/pre-installation scripts for fuse-utils to do its job. I've no
idea what said file is nor why it was missing from my machine.

Thansk, M