Re: Query about Iceape, Iceweasel

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:56:31PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> Who is responsible for Iceape and Iceweasel?
>
> I am running Debian 4.0, which came with these two applications rather than
> the Mozilla applications, and the two applications appear to be quite buggy
> and unstable.

they are renamed versions of the firefox and seamonkey(?). Otherwise
there is essentially no difference between them.

> Both Iceape and Iceweasel, open up "untitled windows" when trying to open
> web pages at all kinds of locations, and, trying to close one of these
> "untitled windows" when it is initially displayed, crashes the application,
> including all of the browser windows that it has open; a procedure has to
> be used, of some time later, finding the duplicate copy of the "untitled
> window" that the application has opened, and, closing that, will cause the
> "untitled window" to close. So, when these "untitled windows start opening,
> all that can be done, is minimising the "untitled window" and its duplicate
> (they open in pairs), and, again clicking on the link to get the
> destination that was sought when the application decided to goawry.

I'm confused by this description above. The only thing I know of that
causes this "untitled window" issue is when you open a .pdf or some
other externally handled file while using a middle click (opening a
tab). And closing them certainly doesn't crash anything. Perhaps you
could provide specific instructions on how to duplicate this problem
for others to try?

> Also, the two applications appear to be designed to use up all of the RAM,
> regardless of how much RAM is available and how many browser windows and
> tabs ar open, leading to crashes in the application, the windows manager,
> and, sometimes, the operating system.

there are (or were at least) memory leaks. That appears to be
improving in later versions coming down the pipe.