Re: mdadm, partitioned array

also sprach Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> [2007.10.10.0102 +0100]:
> I didn't see any _partition_ option on Etch's installer.  If you want
> partitions of a raid device, it looks like you need to mark it for use
> with LVM.

There isn't one. Partitionable arrays are not implemented in
partman, and I am not sure whether they'll ever be. Much for the
same reasons that you list LVM as a viable alternative, but also
because partitionable array device naming is *on crack* and no
bootloader I know properly supports partitionable arrays yet.

> So other than wishlist items for more features, what's wrong with
> LVM as it stands now?  Is there any reason not to use it?  Is it
> better to use cfdisk on itr

LVM is fine. I don't see a reason not to use it. But you said it's
"perfect", and being the pedantic donkey that I am, I said "you
wish" and put a smiley behind it.

Nobody's perfect. William Blake came close.

micro$oft windoze - the best solitaire game you can buy.