Re: mdadm, partitioned array

Quoting "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca>:

Well, its raid5 which is slow to begin with.  Have you verified with
mdadm that the array is complete and not running in degraded mode (which
would slow it down further)?

Tell us about sd[a-f].  What are they and how are they connected to the
computer?  Is it bus contention?

Yes, raid 5 is a bit slower, but I need the drive space.   :)
The drives are 6 onboard sata drives.

What worries me, is that I made one single array. Then paritioned this array into 2 partitions. Formatted the 2 partitions exactly the same, mounted them, and then noticed that one partition is slower than the other. I don't get this at all.

To me, its no different then taking a single disk, partitioning it, and then finding out that one partition is twice as fast as the other paritition. Yet, its the same disk.

I haven't test this yet, but in the past this has worked..... where I create 2 arrays, format them and mount them, rather then create a single array, and partition the array. With 2 seperate arrays, the speeds are all normal. But this becomes more administration to look after if a drive fails, then I have to repair 2 arrays, rather than just one.

Mike