Re: which initrd to pur on USB memory stick?

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 11:13:05PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 12:24:54AM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 October 2007 00:11, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to put debian installer on an USB memory stick. Even if there is
> > > space for full ISO, I'd like to have possibility of installing from CDROM
> > > or network, if possible. Is this possible? which initrd to use for this
> > > case?
> > >
> > > Although "vmlinuz" seems to be the same (6 hard links), the initrd comes in
> > > 3 variants (cdrom, hd-media, netboot) ans each has gtk/ flavour (it that
> > > support for graphics installation?).
> > >
> > > Which initrd.gz should I put on the stick?
> > >

> > The one from hd-media
>
> Then put either the netinst.iso or the full CD1 binary iso on the
> USB-stick.  If ever you want to install from CD, just take the stick to
> a computer with a burner and burn that ISO image.
>
> I also include all my essential user and system data on my 4 GB USB
> stick so that it, in combination with an internet connection, provides
> everything I need for a full bare-metal-recovery.  For completeness, I
> also put on a grml.iso.

I don't think you'll find a single initrd that gives you all the
options, since they all have to fit in memory.

What's the problem of including CD1.iso?  That gives you the option to:
	install from USB stick and use the CD1.iso packages.
	Install from CDROM by burning the CD1.iso file on another
		computer.
	Install the base system from cd1 (don't install any tasks), get
	security updates, choose a mirror, and apt will only go to the
	net for newer packages, but use the cd1.iso for what up-to-date
	packages it has.

	I'm not sure why you'd want to install the basedebs from the net
	if you can have them on the USB.  So perhaps having all the
	choices doesn't make sense.

Doug.