Best text

Hello;
I would like some recommendations on a published manual for
Debian. I think O'Reilly has one, and there is the Linux survival
guide, but are there others?
I like to have hard copies rather than taking up window space
with manual pages and having to shuffle between text windows
and what I am trying to get in hand.
I have a copy of Running Linux, but as I recall (I have not looked
at it for some time)  it is more generalized and not distro specific.

There is one other question about Open Office, and software in
general: Some Linux software with GUI runs on either KDE and
not Gnome, or vice versa. Is that true of Open Office? I installed
it but under Gnome and it does not show up in the applications
menus. I installed OpenOffice.org-common and -base, the core
package would not install for some missing dependencies, so
the dialogs informed me.

I am learning as I go. I remember playing Myst and Riven
when they were popular and that was good conceptual
exercise for dealing with operating systems and software;
curiosity, inductive and deductive logic, hunches, trial and error, observation, intuition, persistence, determination, self control, imagination, and patience.
Unlike Myst and Riven, I am not to proud to peek at the solutions
when it comes to OS's and software.
Thanks in advance
Jeff K.