Re: lots of invalid email trying to come in

Rick Pasotto wrote:

>> Welcome to the Internet.  You can't stop them from trying to get in
>> (except by taking the machine off-line).  You can only keep them
>> from getting in.
>
> Exim was doing a very good job of keeping them from getting in. The
> reason I posted was the fact of all the *different* ips trying to send
> to invalid users at the same host within a relatively short period of
> time. Does that mean that those ips are actually zombies that are being
> used to send email? If so, should their owners be notified?

If you report your spam emails to spamcop (www.spamcop.net) then you can
easily send notifications to owners of IP addresses from whom the spam
email originated. Doing it manually is error prone and time consuming.
Spamcop makes it automated.

Whether this kind of approach is effective or not is another question. I
personally find that reporting the spam emails is better than filtering or
deleting it.

hth
raju

--