Re: lots of invalid email trying to come in

On Sunday 07 October 2007 21:50, Raquel wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:38:59 -0400
>
> Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 07:36:40AM -0700, Raquel wrote:

> > > Welcome to the Internet.  You can't stop them from trying to get
> > > in (except by taking the machine off-line).  You can only keep
> > > them from getting in.
> >
> > Exim was doing a very good job of keeping them from getting in.
> > The reason I posted was the fact of all the *different* ips trying
> > to send to invalid users at the same host within a relatively
> > short period of time. Does that mean that those ips are actually
> > zombies that are being used to send email? If so, should their
> > owners be notified?
>
> This was exactly my point, there's little, if anything, that can be
> done.  You could contact the IP address, but are you sure that's who
> sent the email that didn't get into your system.  IP spoofing is
> terribly easy and is done all the time.  So, your "notified owners"
> may be innocent people.  Your "bounce-back" is creating a worse
> problem than the mail that isn't getting into your machine.
>
> My advice?  Ignore it and do something productive.
>
> --
> Raquel

I couldn't agree more. I have bogofilter dealing with incoming mail to Kmail,
and it's doing a good job. No false positives, and all the spam ends up in
the trash. I do get a few unsures, but not many. Now and again I look through
the trash to see what bogofilter has put there as spam, but I'm so sick at
seeing the "get-a bigga-dick" stuff that I'm not even going to view the trash
any more.

If anyone that I know sends me mail with a dodgy subject line/content/etc,
then it's hard cheese. It'll go to the trash care of bogofilter.

I got so annoyed the other day, that for the first time in some months I sent
all the spam that bogofilter had put in the trash to spamcop. There were
about 80 spams, and for only one did spamcop say that the ISP concerned was
going to stop spamming, and you have to take that with a pinch of salt. How
serious were they?

I could go ranting on and on, but would be a total waste of time. It appears
that spam will exist while the Internet exists, and we have to deal with it
as end users. Enough said.

Nigel.