Trying to get svnadmin to create repository with fsfs vice bdb

I'm running Debian etch (AMD64) and have subversion 1.4.2 (current stable) installed.  I've been trying to set up a new repository with the following command:

  svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /extra/scm/svn/repos

It successfully sets up the repository, but it is always using BDB, no matter what I do.  The subversion documentation:

... says the default is fsfs, but either way, by adding '--fs-type fsfs' or not, it always creates it as BDB.

Anyone have any ideas?

- Jeff