Re: P-II ASUS box won't boot another drive

* Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> [071002 15:42]:
> On 10/02/2007 11:48 AM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> I bought an 8 GB drive for my P-II so that I don't have to scrimp so much
>> when installing (see previous theads).  I also found a 1.1 GB drive.  The
>> box used to have an 8 GB drive that died last year.
>> This computer seems very picky over what drives it will actually boot. The
>> origional 8 GB and the new 8GB drive are the same WD.  The 1.1 GB is also
>> a WD.  Of the drives, it will only boot an 850 MB Quantum.
>> I tried all the different geometry settings (NORMAL, LBA, LARGE) and
>> reinstalled Etch and OpenBSD each time.  No boots.  Put in the 850 MB,
>> install Etch, boots OK.
>> Has anyone run into this before?  My IBM PS/ValuePoint 486 will boot all
>> of the drives no problem.
>> As it is now, my 486 has the two WD drives so has lots of room for OBSD
>> (since Etch won't install).
>> Doug.

I have running here a PII with Asus P2B-F motherboard and a 40Gbyte
IDE drive.  The manual for the P2B-F is rather poor, and fails to
provide a number of vital details.

I have been running a dual-boot Debian/W2000 scheme, with Debian
"testing" on one drive and W2000 on the other, and using GRUB as the
boot loader.  With a 366 MHz process, performance with W2000 and with
the Gnome desktop is acceptable, but sometimes a bit frustrating.

In order to get the system to boot, I found it necessary to install
the 32Gbyte clip jumper on any drive larger than 32Gbyte.

Once the system boots, W2000 thinks it is running on a 32Gbyte drive.
However, Debian sees the entire drive, despite the clip jumper.

RLH