Re: webcam html and ftp servers: restricting access

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 10:22:25PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> so turn off remote control of the motion app and just put up the web
> images. As I said originally, I'm sure you could tunnel it through ssh
> if you wanted, though what the use of that is, i don't know. make use
> of dynamic dns, and then you can surf to the web image whenever you
> want. Now, that puts your images in the public view, and I'm not sure
> how to avoid that as motion doesn't seem to authenticate for viewing,
> just for controlling. You'll have to research that a bit.

I've never run a web server but I do use ssh a lot.

Could you use putty from Windows to run ssh?  Can it forward X somehow
to Windows (never used a recent windows)?

If I was doing this remotely from a unix/linux box, I'd run ssh -X and
run a web browser on the local (webcam) box and have it display on my
remote box.  I don't know if windows can do this.

This would permit the remote 'pull' with full security.

As for having the webcam app mail you notice of motion, it could just
email you the picture too.

Doug.