Re: webcam html and ftp servers: restricting access

* Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> [071001 17:42]:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 03:58:26PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > I am planning to run a remote machine (running Debian "testing") with
> > a webcam for monitoring a remote location.
> >
> > I plan to use apache2 to serve images which I can view from any
> > machine.
>
> depending on your needs, you might look at motion (its packaged for
> debian). It includes a tiny little webserver that will stream images
> and allow remote control of the app. I just reviewed the manpage of
> motion and it includes some configurable stuff as far as ports (not
> https, though) so you may be able to use ssh tunneling to make it work
> securely.

I discovered motion, but I think that it is a bit too complex for this
stage of the project.  And I found three other webcam server HOWTOs.
But I still am confused as how to get the system working.

I also discovered "sftp", which may be the solution I am seeking.

I wish to be certain that my desktop system is not compromised if
someone steals the remote system; so if the remote system runs a
script for ftp via ssh, the password or passphrase contained in the
script should be exclusive to ftp.  Am I making sense?

RLH