webcam html and ftp servers: restricting access

I am planning to run a remote machine (running Debian "testing") with
a webcam for monitoring a remote location.

I plan to use apache2 to serve images which I can view from any
machine.

I plan to use pure-ftp as an alternative to the web server, so that
the remove machine sends images to an apache2 server running on my
desktop machine.

I hope to use a technique such as SSH or a password to restrict access
to the web and ftp servers on the remote machine, but I have not yet
discovered how to go about this.

What is a reasonable approach to protecting such a system from public
access?

RLH