Network card activation

Hi all

I’m using Debian Etch, and in order to activate my network card y have to go into “Networking” gnome’s option menu, click on eth0, then click on “Deactivate” button and then on “Activate”. I don't get an IP address unless I do this.

There should be a configuration where this can be fixed, however I’m not sure which one. After reading some other topics into this list I assume that this should be into '/etc/network/interfaces'. Is this correct?

I would appreciate any hints about it or any links to documentation where I can find more about this.

Thanks to everyone and Regards.

Oscar Corte