Re: resize the partition with /

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:46:32AM -0700, harland christofferson wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > Put a filesystem on it (e.g. ext3), mount it under /mnt, cp -a or
> > rsync (or even use mc) everything under /usr, then unmount it from
> > /mnt and mount it as /usr.  If it works, unmount it, change
> > /etc/fstab, remove everything under /usr and reboot.
>
> harland christofferson wrote:
>
> why would you need to reboot. wouldn't deleting the mount point from
> /etc/mtab and running mount -a work instead?

Because you're changing something that has to do with things that
automatically happen on boot.  I'd rather discover a problem now while I
remember what I did, than the next time I boot (a year from now?).

Unless you have production services going on, a quick reboot is a good
idea.  If you do have production services, schedule the reboot for the
next short maintenance window and be doubly sure that you've logged what
you've done.

Doug.