Re: Recommended MPLAYER config for old computers

Dnia 01/10/07 09:16,Amit Uttamchandani napisał:
Hey guys,

Trying to use mplayer to watch DVDs but it is quite slow. A lot of artifacts and buffering. Quite unwatchable. I have been tweaking a few settings here and there but I thought I'd ask from more experience users out there.

A few settings that I am using now,

 * -vo xv
 * -cache 8192

This is on a old PowerBook G4 500MHz PPC w/512MB RAM. I would think this should be fast enough to watch DVDs? Also, I am not running any other major applications in the background.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi,

I used to watch DVDs on my old 2x350PII 512MB RAM with VooDoo3, which seems to be slower than yours. Well, it wasn't perfect, but wasn't too bad. I must admit that kaffeine was much more useful with DVDs though. Sometimes it crashed, but it worked better with DVD menus etc. And it seemed to me that it played more smoothly too. Debian sid.

In mplayer (AFAIR) I used the following options

~/.mplayer/config:

vo=xv
ao=alsa
cache=4096 (but this was due to playing some .avi from network drive)
autoq=6
vf=pp
framedrop=yes

Kind regards,