Re: Re: etch + xp

On Sun, 2007.09.30 13:14, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> But I want to install XP in another disk, different from which etch is
> installed. So XP will install its own bootmanager into the mbr of this
> different disk. Am I wright? Remember that I can tell the bios from what
> disk the system boots. I gues I can use this in order to make the system
> boot from the second disk, where XP is being installed, making XP ignore
> the disk where etch is installed.

Windows XP will overwrite the MBR of the first drive listed by the BIOS (the
one that is booted), so set the BIOS to boot from whatever drive you want
Windows to replace the MBR of.  When you're done installing, switch it back,
boot Debian, and set up grub to boot Windows with 'chainload'.

Back up your MBR first though.  And: when I set up grub to boot Windows once
for someone else, I found grub's 'hide' command and used it to hide the Debian
partitions, thinking that the less Windows saw, the better.  But Windows (XP),
when those partitions were 'hidden' by grub, changed the partition types to
Amoeba (whatever that is) and then grub would give an error on the next boot.
Of course, problems like that should be expected when running Windows on a
system.