Re: efficiency of windows managers

"Pál Csányi" <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Patrick!

Howdy,

> No, I have not set it up.  :(
> Thank you for help! :)

Glad to be able to do so.

> The debian stumpwm package dependency are: sbcl cl-clx-sbcl.

Yeah, and I actually met those, and it may have "worked" except I could
never get it started as I just didn't know how.  It may be because I am
not a lisper, but it just seemed very esoteric.  There were no direct
instructions of what to do to get things running.  For instance, what
command do you use and where?  I just never did get it running and the
/usr/share/doc... stuff didn't really help me at all.

Also, finding out later that the Debian SBCL has a problem and causes
the entire system to virtually stop running if you do any CPU intensive
tasks I have very strong doubts it would be a good idea to run stump
that way in the first place.  Much better I think to go ahead and
compile sbcl yourself.

> Would you please give for us the step by step advices how to install
> from CVS stumpwm?

First I installed SBCL via apt.  This is because you have to have a lisp
to compile sbcl (odd, huh?) and that one works fine.  I am sure clisp or
cmucl would work too, but I already had sbcl because I was trying to get
stump working, and so I used it. Of course, YMMV.  I then grabbed the
source to sbcl from their website, untarred it and changed to that
directory.  In there I configured it (not sure exactly how as it was a
while ago) to install in my home directory rather than in /usr/local.
This way it would not interfere, even temporarily with my system sbcl
which I was using to compile it.  It also makes uninstalling as easy as
deleting the sbcl dirs in my home folder.  Apps like sbcl are hard to
uninstall and so this works well for me.  Just export SBCL_HOME in your
.bashrc with something like
"export SBCL_HOME=/home/cothrige/lisp/lib/sbcl" and then `source ~/.bashrc'.

I then started sbcl and typed the following one at a time at the prompt,
to install clx:

* (require 'asdf)
* (require 'asdf-install)
* (asdf-install:install 'clx)

This will download and install everything for you.  BTW, I installed it
system-wide, but I don't think it matters if you use your home directory
for sbcl as I did.  If you use /usr/local or some such it will obviously
matter.  Then I closed SBCL and grabbed the stump source this way:

cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@cvs.savannah.nongnu.org:/cvsroot/stumpwm login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@cvs.savannah.nongnu.org:/cvsroot/stumpwm co stumpwm

(BTW, press return for the password on the first one.)

This will create a stumwpm directory.  Cd there and do the following:

autoconf
./configure
make

That will do it.  It defaults to sbcl, and if you have installed sbcl to
a place in your path you will have no trouble at all.  There is no make
install or the like as you run it from this directory.  What you do is
move the stumpwm folder to wherever you like and then just invoke that
in your .xinitrc.  If I left it in my home directory for instance, it
would be like this:

exec ~/stumpwm/stumpwm

There is a sample .stumpwmrc file in the stumpwm directory, but it has
nothing on the mode-line in it.  If you are interested in that you will
need something for it.  It isn't too bad to get configured once it is up
and running, though I found all of it to be somewhat vague.  If you
think you would like it I will gladly post up a copy of my stumpwmrc
file and you can look at that to see if you see anything which may help
you.

> Just in any case, if you have stumpwm installed from CVS on Debian,
> how can you uninstall (purge) it? (For case if the Debian stumpwm
> package come usable.)

Well, the nice thing is since it doesn't install at all you just delete
the entire stumpwm directory and that really does purge it.  The way I
did things nothing left my home folder at all, which made cleanup much
easier.  And the way I kept messing it up with trial and error that
approach came in handy, believe me.

I hope this helps you get it running.  Once I did I really liked it,
though I didn't end up staying with full time.  Maybe I just liked the
challenge of making it work. ;-)

Good luck on it.

Patrick