efficiency of windows managers

Hi all,

I have a general question which I got when trying out different
windows managers/desktop environments.  When I try to use windowmaker
(I wanted to make my computer faster as it's getting old), it
certainly is fast for initialization.  But after that when around
10-15 windows are opened and distributed in different workspaces, I
found moving around different workspaces and windows pretty slow (I
compared with KDE which I usually use.) and thus I still decided to
stick with KDE for the moment.  Maybe the comparison is not fair as
KDE definitely needs longer time to initialize.  But my question is,
is there a reason for that?

Thanks.

Manu