Etch installer floppy disk does not detect my hard disks

Hi,

I am trying to install Etch starting with the floppy disk installer found at

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current//ima
ges/floppy/

The installer system boots up OK and I go through the installation process
to where it says a shell will start up.  It says that the hard disks will be
mounted in the /target directory.  I start the shell and there is no /target
directory.  I have two hard disks, with windows on hda1, and a Linux swap
partition on hdb1, and a Linux partition (Woody) on hdb2.  This worked
excellently in Woody, until Woody got broken during an attempted upgrade to
Etch.  Also the problem is not due to low memory, I have just upgraded
memory from 64MB to 256MB, and I no longer get the low memory mode message.

Best regards,
Chris Austin.