Re: Lenny vs. Etch + Backports

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 02:37:03PM +0100, Michael C wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After returning to Linux last year as my main desktop OS, I've been wanting
> to migrate to Debian. However, put off by the prospect of having to use
> backported security fixes on officially retired development branches such
> as Thunderbird/Icedove 1.5 (for up to two years!), I'd far rather be using
> either Testing or Backports.
>
> Given that in any case Backports.org currently only seems to draw on Lenny,
> and that these days, security vulnerabilities fixed in Sid are swiftly
> brought over into Testing, what are the specific advantages of using Etch +
> Backports?

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm a sid user, but I think as long as
all the new software you need is Icedove, stable+backports should be
better.  If you find you are installing a significant amount of software
from backports (or just don't find what you need) maybe you should
consider testing, but don't expect everything to Just Work (TM).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)