Lenny vs. Etch + Backports

Hi,

After returning to Linux last year as my main desktop OS, I've been wanting to migrate to Debian. However, put off by the prospect of having to use backported security fixes on officially retired development branches such as Thunderbird/Icedove 1.5 (for up to two years!), I'd far rather be using either Testing or Backports.

Given that in any case Backports.org currently only seems to draw on Lenny, and that these days, security vulnerabilities fixed in Sid are swiftly brought over into Testing, what are the specific advantages of using Etch + Backports?

Regards,

Michael