Re: xmodmap again - not solved after all

On 27 Sep 2007, s. keeling wrote:
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk>:

> > >    usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
> > >    if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
> > >      /usr/bin/xmodmap $usermodmap
> > >    else
> >
> >  Unfortunately, neither of these works for me. The problem appears to be
> >  that $DISPLAY is not set. I have tried setting various values for it
>
> If you've been expecting this to work for the console, that's your
> error.  X Window defines the DISPLAY variable.  If you're not running
> X, xmodmap is irrelevant.  Xmodmap is an X application.

Sorry; I didn't make myself clear. It is of course in X that I want
xmodmap to work. However, the error messages appear in the console
BEFORE I start X with startx. They say " "XMODMAP: unbound variable"
(repeated twice). With slightly different scripts I get messages saying
DISPLAY is not set. This also happens if I ssh into the computer from
outside.

Possibly they are harmless, in which case I'll ignore them, since
xmodmap is indeed being run in X.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian