Openoffice file takes a long time to open

On 9/26/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

Maybe it's *highly* compressed and most of the time is spent in
zlib.  I've seen examples of corner cases that take forever to open.

It is a file that is frequently used. I don't know how to check if it is in zlib.

> I copied the file to SUSE linux that I have on a desktop, and the file
> opened quickly.

You neglect to mention the specs of the 2 machines.  Maybe the
desktop is 10x faster.

The desktop is 2.8Ghz and has 1MB memory. The laptop is  1.8GHz and has the same memory.
There is no difference between these two machines in opening any other file.

> Any ideas where I look?

Run top in an xterm.  See if OOo is sucking a lot of CPU.

It is, but only on opening this file.
John