Re: Openoffice file takes a long time to open

On 09/26/2007 09:21 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 09/26/07 05:15, John O Laoi wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am running Etch on a Dell Precision laptop.
>>  I have one openoffice file, say XYZ.odt, which takes a long time to open
>> (maybe 25 minutes).
>> While it is opening, Openoffice is stalled.
>
> No surprise there.
>
>> It is not big. ls-l  reports its size as 18,000.
>> I have many much bigger files which open immediately.
>
> Maybe it's *highly* compressed and most of the time is spent in
> zlib.  I've seen examples of corner cases that take forever to open.
>
>> I copied the file to SUSE linux that I have on a desktop, and the file
>> opened quickly.
>
> You neglect to mention the specs of the 2 machines.  Maybe the
> desktop is 10x faster?
>
>> I tried changing its name.
>> I tried copying its contents to a new file.
>> I made a copy of the file (using cp).
>> I had some URLs in the file, which I changed to text (removed the blue and
>> underline)
>> I ran fsck on the filesystem on which it resides, and it reported no bad
>> blocks.
>
>> Any ideas where I look?
>
> Run top in an xterm.  See if OOo is sucking a lot of CPU.

Also check your disk i/o for swapping.  I recently worked on a 4.8kb OOo
document that sucked in 8 images of 1.1Mb/each.  It was a simple letter
sized page with embedded images.  Working on that doc brought the old
500Mhz PIII to a crawl under etch, but it loaded and rendered in a
minute or 2, not 25 mins!

Also, check whether any other unusual objects are embedded or called
somehow.  Perhaps some object is not loading, re-trying, and finally
timing out.  Just a guess...

Good luck,
Ralph