It's 3am and I have no caffeine

Guys,

I am sorry to ask such a newbie question, and my eyes are crossed, no caffeine, and I have try everything on the man pages and my serveral books and I am not getting the answer.

Ok. Here are my two question, and two question they yet be.

I need to know the flag for grep to get the exact phrase, for payne.

when I do grep for payne...I like this...

cpayne
cepayne
payne
apayne

I know it got to be simple.

Also, why can I do this zgrep -c, how can I get a count with zgrep.

Again sorry I know these are simple newbie questions, but it late and my brain is aching for CAFFEINE....

Payne