Re: Repost of some earlier described "challenges"

Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
El mar, 25-09-2007 a las 21:33 -0500, Mike McCarty escribió:
[snip of something I can't help with]
She can't associate multiple queues with a single printer,
but there is already another thread about that. There is
currently no work around, but there is hope that using the
CUPS I/F directly may work.

Let us know when you try this out. I have several instances of each
printer created in cups each one with different configuration
(grayscale, color, color high quality) and it works great. Using gnome.

Really? I worked on that repeatedly with no success. Works
great on my machine (different distro, however). I wonder if
we need to do a

# apt-get update some-package

or sth like that.

So far, she's unable to get her printer to full functionality.
I kludged up a printer description which sorta works, but
not fully. It's an HP, but I don't at present recall the
exact model number. It is a combined Printer/FAX/Scanner.
So far, it just prints either in greyscale or color, depending
on how we've edited queue at the moment. We can't select different
print quality, color/greyscale, or any other options except by
editing the one queue associated with it. It is also supposed
to be able to read and print camera memory sticks, but that
only works in stand-alone mode, with no way to get the info
from the printer to the computer. Supposedly, this works
with THE OTHER OS, though that is unverified. Anyway, at
present it's running with my kludgy edit of another printer
description file, not one from Debian, and just as a simple
printer, it can't even do a realign. None of the other
functions are currently usable.

Does she have the hplip package installed?

I'm not sure that would help anyway given the way it's set up.
There was (is?) no proper printer definition file for
that printer. I kludged up another printer which is somewhat
close just to make it work with HPJIS, and renamed the file.
It may have HPLIP, but I doubt it.

It includes an app called hp-toolbox which let's you do all the tasks
you would do with the hp-director in WS (i.e. the cartridge
cleaning/realignment, see how loaded the cartridges are, etc)

This printer is pretty smart. It may not need so much.
I dunno. If I replace a cartridge, it _automatically_
runs some sort of alignment on itself.

But presently, we can't change the dpi etc. That's more
the kind of thing needed. I need a _proper_ printer def
file. Is there an apt-get which can be done to check for
additional printer defs? Making the scanner part and the
FAX work is another issue. She really wants the scanner
to work as well. I have no experience with SANE or any
scanner drivers on Linux.

Another issue which has never been posted: She installed more
memory. She had 512 MB RAM, and now has 1.5 Gig. Unfortunately,
Debian seems only to recognize just under 1.0 Gig. I haven't
looked on the web for a fix for that, so I haven't posted
here. Part of the reason I haven't gone searching for a
solution, is that her reaction to that was to purchase a copy
of Windows XP.

apt-get install linux-image-686-bigmem

Aha! Thanks!

She's sorta impulsive, sometimes.

Partly, she also wants access to a disc which was formatted
by Windows NT, and which she considers she has no access to
at present. (Not quite true, but I try not to argue with her
very much. It is true that she has some apps on there which
won't run under Debian.)

ntfs-3g if it is ntfs.

?

# apt-get ntfs-3g

?

It is indeed NTFS.

I dunno how much progress will be made, even if I can make
everything work by Saturday evening. She seems kinda to have
made up her mind. I have, um, limited influence over her
behavior. :-)

Well, the windows' been bought already...

Yeppers. But not opened. However F-PROT has been purchased,
and I suspect its a "non-returnable" kinda thing. I've
got one of those "funny feelings" that her mind is kinda
made up.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.