Re: Debian may lose a user

Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net>:
>  Mark Phillips wrote:
> >
> > Mike, you have to realize that support is provided by volunteers who
> > have lives (families, children, jobs, little league, etc.) outside of
> > supporting the software. There is no guarentee of any support when you
> > install Debian. But it is there. You have to learn how to ask, and
> > sometimes you have to ask several times before you get a response.
>
>  Of course I recognize this. I told you, I'm not complaining.
>  I have no oars in the water about this.

I think what they're saying is, we're asking.  You don't just send off
a bug report and expect some help-desk monkey to jump.  Often, you
need to do some research and ask multiple questions in multiple
venues.  People aren't on the net all the time.  Things go by without
getting seen by the right pair of eyes.

Linus says this is the same way it works in kernel hacking.  You may
have to bang on the door a number of times before you get his
attention.

fwiw, I've found a really good place to ask difficult questions is in
debian-mentors.