Re: Debian may lose a user

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 12:36 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Mike Bird wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 September 2007 09:55, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > (big snip)
> >> Anyway, that's it, FWIW.
> >
> > Long message wth no specifics.  No way to help you.
>
> I wasn't asking for help. I'm telling you that due to
> perceived lack of help, a user is leaving (or at least
> it seems to me that she will).

Mike, you have to realize that support is provided by volunteers who
have lives (families, children, jobs, little league, etc.) outside of
supporting the software. There is no guarentee of any support when you
install Debian. But it is there. You have to learn how to ask, and
sometimes you have to ask several times before you get a response.

If you want a telephone number, and (almost) instant gratification, then
your GF should use Windows. If you want to be part of a community and
save thousands of dollars in software costs over the lifetime of your
computing life, then you have to have patience, and learn how to ask
questions. And you have to give back to the community that is helping
you.

> At the time the problems were first reported, details were provided.

No volunteer is going to go back and research your problem report. If
you want to solve the problem, you have to be ready to assit the
volunteers who are willing to help you when they are ready to help.

Just my 2 cents.
Mark