Re: ATI or Nvidia

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Guillermo Garron wrote:

> I have my system as dual boot, Debian Etch and ubuntu Gutsy, I am
> asking on the Ubuntu list, which is my best option nVidia or ATI,
> actually I have an ATI Radeon X300, and I want to change it.
>
> In your Debian experience which has better support?, I have read that
> nVidia is better, actually I had problems with Ubuntu and compiz, with
> Debian and the propietary driver, GoogleEarth works great, (no compiz
> on my Debian)
[ . . . ]

Definitely nVidia.  ATI's proprietary driver is shockingly bad...  I had no
idea how poor it was until I was forced to swap an ATI card into a system
last weekend -- I eventually got it (sort-of) working, but jeez.  My
replacement nVidia card arrives tomorrow.

FWIW, now that ATI has been purchased by AMD they've begun to release
enough hardware specs for a quality driver to be written by open source
folks.  That will take some time though.

-- Brad