Re: Debian may lose a user

Mike McCarty wrote:
> I provide this only to let you know that it looks like Debian
> is going to lose a user to Windows shortly, due to perceived
> lack of concern over user's difficulties shown by those who do
> support for Debian.

    The real problem here is that Linux is losing a user to Windows.  To be
honest, Debian can lose many users.  Either you're a Debian user or
you're not.  There's no negative connotation to that, it is just Debian
is focused on a certain group and not all users fall within that group.

    My advice is, yes, your GF should not use Debian.  I say that as a
Debian user.  I would rather your GF, and by extension you, be happy
with your decision in a distribution and if Debian is not making you
happy, by all means, go elsewhere.

    However, speaking as a KUbuntu user, don't let Debian be the only
distribution that your GF experiences.  Just as Debian is aimed at a
certain set of users so too is Ubuntu in its many forms.  Again, no
negative connotation in that.

    For someone who is not die-hard into Linux and willing to put forth the
effort to dig into problems and resolve them I would no longer recommend
Debian.  I would point them to Ubuntu for Gnome, KUbuntu for KDE or
XUbuntu for XFCE.  If they were not sure and had only experience in
Windows then I'd steer them to KUbuntu.

    I use Debian on my servers because I am not concerned about the
niceties.  I just want to plop it on there, get it running and let it
go.  My laptop and main machine have KUbuntu because I do want the
niceties.  I don't want to have to dig into it.  I just want to read my
mail, write my stories, browse the web and play my games.  I'm guessing
that is the level your GF is at.  So have her give a distribution that
is geared for that level a try.

--
Steve Lamb