Re: GNOME: Associate multiple queues with one printer: HOW?

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 02:33:16PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Mike McCarty(Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net) is reported to have said:
> > My GF has a Debian/GNOME/CUPS machine, and wishes to associate more than
> > one queue with it. I use Fedora/GNOME/CUPS and have no problem doing
> > that, but so far have failed to manage it with Debian. Can anyone
> > help me get her machine set up to have more than one queue on
> > her printer? The connectivity is local through USB, if that makes
> > any difference.
> >

> If by queue you mean another printer instance, ie same printer used
> but a different dpi etc, then you just make a new printer with a
> different name.
> CUPS Administration -> Add Printer
> All of the options, except the printer name, are the same as the one
> you already have, (IIRC).  Then change the options to be what you want.

I have just done this using the CUPS web interface on my machine (I
don't use gnome on this box) and confirmed that it works. I did look
at it through the gnome-cups-manager and it looked a little wonky, but
I'm not familiar with that interface so can't say for sure. Either
way, I set up two queues for the one printer (HP PSC1210, usb, hplip)
and it works fine: one set for draft grayscale and one for color.

I did try this on my wife's machine last night, but its a pretty flaky
printer (canon iP1500 Pixma, usb) using non-debian drivers. The
results were less promising in that it didn't work at all and left me
with multiple instances of the driver soaking up all the cpu. But I
think that's a driver issue as I've seen it before with only one queue
on that printer.

All I did was review the setup for the first instance of the
printer. Then I "Add Printer"ed and set it up the same way. One thing
of note, I couldn't get access to the "Set printer options" from the
web interface. It generates some error in the cups logs. I'm not sure
if this behavior existed before or not and this being a sid box, its
highly likely that this was already broken. Anyway, I could get access
through the gnome-cups-manager and through the printer options in
openoffice.

hth.