Re: trying to get the windows icq program QQ to work under etch

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, tom arnall wrote:

On Monday 24 September 2007 14:19, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:05:45PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
I am trying to get the windows icq program QQ to work under etch. I can
get it to install, but when I try to run it the thing dies and I get:

I know this is not a real solution, but do you have any particular
reason for using that client? Gaim can do ICQ as far as I recall.

Regards,
Andrei

No reason except that I can't connect to the QQ server using gaim. I
get 'invalid password' and other such junk from it. So I tried using their QQ
tool, since this is what they officially support. the installer worked, as
well as the registration of QQ account info. but i can't get the actual agent
to run.

thanks,

tom

Hi Tom,

I see that as of version 2 of gaim/pidgin the openq plugin had been rolled into gaim/pidgin. So most likely you will need to get a new version of pidgin to fix this problem. As you are running etch right now, one of the options would be to download pidgin and compile that. Looking through their changelog, I saw where they have fixed some authentication issues with openq as of version 2.0.2, they are currently on version 2.2.0. Also be sure to read http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FAQssl , as it has some handy info on getting things to compile correctly.

hth
Jeff

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.